Denmark’s Frederiksen continues to dispel NATO top job rumours
Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen is trying to dispel widespread rumours about her potentially replacing NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg later this year following her visit to Washington on Monday.
While many viewed her visit as a necessary step if Frederiksen is to be seriously considered for the NATO top job, she is now trying to dispel rumours and has reaffirmed her commitment to her current position.
“There’s no need for all these discussions because I’m not a candidate for any other job than the one I’m doing right now, and which I have the support of the Danes to do, which is to be Prime Minister of Denmark,” she said in an interview to Danish media on Wednesday.
However, when asked why she would not say she would reject the job if she is offered it, she seemed less sure of herself.
“Well, it has… I’ve said many times, and I’m happy to repeat it now, that I’m happy to be prime minister of Denmark, and I’m happy with the support I’ve received from the Danes, and I’m not a candidate for other tasks,” Frederiksen said.
Frederiksen has repeatedly emphasised that she is not “a candidate” for the NATO post, a formulation that former Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen used persistently until he became NATO Secretary General in 2009.
Frederiksen’s reaction comes after her own coalition partners, the Moderate Party and the Liberal Party (both members of Renew Europe), recently began openly talking about what would happen if she were to leave office.
Earlier this week, Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen (M) declared that government cooperation would have to be “re-confirmed” if that were to happen, meaning the parties would have to sit down and be sure that they agree on the political course and cooperation.
On Wednesday, acting Defence Minister Troels Lund Poulsen (Liberals) also said he wanted government cooperation to be reconfirmed in case of a change of prime minister.
(Charles Szumski | EURACTIV.com)